From: Will Buckner <wcc@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/gzip madness
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:59:39
1 on 08/24/04 11:30 Paul de Vrieze said the following:
2 > On Monday 23 August 2004 17:36, Lina Pezzella wrote:
3 >
4 >>I would entirely agree on the second point there. System for macos has
5 >>very few things installed (gzip not among them) because a lot is
6 >>provided by MacOS. At this point in the game, where we are porting
7 >>Gentoo to non-Linux userlands, it is probably a bad idea to "assume"
8 >>much of anything.
11 > I think gzip, tar, unzip and bzip2 should be runtime dependencies of portage
12 > itself. Portage needs them to unpack almost all packages. It would be hell if
13 > we would need to add any of them as a dependency just because of the fact
14 > that the package is offered in a tarball of some sort (most packages are).
17 This makes sense to me as well, since, in reality, it IS a portage
18 dependency. It's portage that needs virtual/gzip, etc, to extract the
19 package. A package's dependencies should be what the package itself needs to
20 compile/run.
21
22 > Paul
25 Wcc