From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:43:32
1 On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:09:04 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 16:23 -0400, Peter wrote:
4 >> I did not read anything that implied o.g.o would bypass anything other
5 >> than a lengthy wait in bugzilla land. Other distros have their
6 >> experimental/testing branches, why can't gentoo?
7 >
8 > *cough* ~arch *cough*
9 >
10 > What everybody seems to miss is that having the ebuild in the overlay
11 > doesn't "bypass" any sort of wait. It still is not in the tree. It is
12 > still "unsupported". Having a couple developers do a 30 second check
13 > over an ebuild does not instantly make it good quality.
14
15 You're right. However it allows certain ebuilds to get published long
16 before they would (if ever) waiting in bugzilla maintainer-wanted. Unless
17 I am totally naive or utopian or foolish (or all of the above), what is
18 wrong for having an overlay for orphaned or ebuilds that will never be
19 supported. Things not being in the tree is the whole purpose of the
20 overlay as I understand it. Some things should not be in the tree, some
21 things should. However, for many different reasons, some things that
22 should be in the tree just don't get there.
23
24 Quality is subjective. I could write a perfect ebuild for foo.bar, but the
25 program could suck. Or, someone could write a piss poor ebuild for "best
26 program ever" and q/a would slam it rightfully so. Such an ebuild would
27 likely not get onto overlay either. But for those motivated enough to want
28 to push an ebuild, the o.g.o provides such an outlet.
29
30 And, for me again as a user, using a gentoo-hosted overlay is preferable
31 to a third party repository. This is a personal bias on my part -- and
32 maybe unwarranted.
33
34 Warn users that ebuild in o.g.o come with no assurances whatsoever, and
35 let the market decide if this is a source worthy of use!
38 Peter
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list