From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flags documentation
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:37:45
1 On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:19:55 -0500
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
4 > > Is the feature ready to be used? Is there any kind of documentation
5 > > (aside of DTD)? It will replace use.desc?
6 > >
7 > Well the first question you answered yourself. You linked to a post I
8 > wrote describing live commits I made to the tree using this feature.
9
10 ...which is all very well, but have you added support to the various
11 programs that handle use flags for this new functionality?
12
13 Really, you should have gone for a GLEP for this -- as previous
14 metadata GLEPs have shown, it doesn't take long to go through the GLEP
15 process and it results in substantially better decisions. The proposal
16 as you implemented it isn't perfect -- in particular, <pkg> the way
17 you've done it isn't an optimal solution (think version operators and
18 so on -- how are they to be handled?). And what about referring to
19 other named USE flags, either globally or those associated with a
20 particular package?
21
22 Please revert the commits and go back and follow the proper process
23 here. Whilst it's nice to see things I suggested years ago finally
24 getting somewhere, it'd be better to see it done to its full potential.
27 Ciaran McCreesh