From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default DOCS for einstalldocs and HACKING file
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 20:22:59
1 On 06/07/2016 04:59 PM, Austin English wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/07/2016 06:19 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
4 >> On 07/06/16 23:50, NP-Hardass wrote:
5 >>> From what I've seen, HACKING is a fairly common doc in FOSS projects.
6 >>> It doesn't seem to have been included in the default DOCS for
7 >>> einstalldocs in EAPI6. While going through the MATE packages, I noticed
8 >>> that we have quite a few packages that include HACKING in DOCS, so I
9 >>> cannot delete the DOCS array and take advantage of the automagic doc
10 >>> detection feature of einstalldocs.
11 >>>
12 >>> Does anyone know why we omitted this file from the default DOCS? A
13 >>> quick grep of the main repo shows ~370 ebuilds with HACKING listed. Is
14 >>> this file no longer considered worthy of being included by default in
15 >>> our installed docs? If so, looking for advice on whether it is worth
16 >>> keeping or dropping that file from my packages?
17 >>>
18 >> I made the suggestion a while back in IRC that it would be nice if there
19 >> was a way to append to the DOCS array in an ebuild, rather than have to
20 >> override it, and remember the standard list every time, or just lose the
21 >> extra file(s). Unfortunately I was laughed out of the channel. So,
22 >> whilst it would probably be something for another EAPI change .. what do
23 >> readers think of the idea of an EXTRA_DOCS variable or similar method
24 >> for doing this, for exactly this reason/purpose??
25 >
26 >> MJE
27 >
28 > Some way to append docfiles would be very welcome IMO.
31 Agreed. We can already add on to other arrays or lists, why should DOCS
32 be any different?
33 --
34 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
35 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
36 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6