From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 02:12:48
1 On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 21:23 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 March 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > Well that's the problem. When I use say _pre instead of _dev it gives
4 > > off the wrong impression to users judging package by it's name. Since
5 > > it's not a pre-release. A user may go upstream looking for some sort of
6 > > pre-release. Which they won't find.
7 >
8 > isnt it though ? how is a "development" release different from a "pre"
9 > release ?
10
11 I take it as a pre-release is more of an official release. Where in it
12 would be easily found on a projects download page or else where. What I
13 would consider a _dev release is something coming out of a developers
14 space on the project. Not really announced say beyond the developers
15 mailing list. In that same regard alpha's and beta's usually can be
16 found on project download pages. Same I would assume for any
17 pre-releases.
18
19 Given conceptually a development release is "pre" release. But not
20 really advertised as such by upstream. Either way it would not really
21 fit into our hierarchy. Most times the dev release will precede an alpha
22 or beta, sometimes does skip and is before an official release.
23
24 This might help a bit
25 http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=117251925901310&w=2
26
27 In that example a _dev is more of a snapshot, which could also be
28 considered as pre-release :) Good old interpretation of words.
29
30 P.S. OTT
31 With regard to above link and following development that closely.
32 Between revisions of mod_jk, not only was there a security
33 vulnerability. But in compatible changes effect certain file
34 extensions .jsf, that a user reported. Which they only mentioned during
35 stabilization of a given version (literally in stabilization bug). So in
36 a sense a version with a problem got stabilized. But was an upstream
37 bug, effecting a small subset. So did not really merit keeping the
38 package from going stable for others. But bug was not filed with
39 upstream either till 30+ days after release due to our stabilization
40 policies and etc.
43 William L. Thomson Jr.
44 Gentoo/Java