From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usages of CVS $Header$ keyword in ebuilds - use cases wanted
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:36:05
1 On 26-08-2008 15:41:07 -0500, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:40:36 -0700
3 > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm doing some research on our usages of the $Header$ keyword in our
6 > > main CVS repo.
7 > >
8 > > Q: Are there any other use-cases you have and actively use?
9 >
10 > I use the revision present in the header to identify changes in
11 > ebuild files that didn't needed a revision dump.
12
13 I do exactly the same (or, eupdate is doing that) to keep the Prefix
14 tree in sync with gentoo-x86. That is, I use the CVS Header to
15 determine if a change has occurred, retrieve that diff, and apply the
16 patch on my Prefix version of the same file (ebuild, ChangeLog,
17 patch, eclass, ...).
18
19 For that reason I'd pretty much prefer to keep the CVS Header in place,
20 unless there is a very good reason to remove it.
24 Fabian Groffen
25 Gentoo on a different level