From: rob holland <robh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:46:20
1 --On Friday, May 16, 2003 10:35:26 +0000 Chris Bainbridge
2 <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 >> only one file to diff, which in my mind should be more
5 >> efficient. no more waiting for the 40000 file list to
6 >> arrive.
7
8 Seeing as no-one else has piped up yet... :)
9
10 The main problem with using a loopback fs is that we'd then need to require
11 kernel support for it.
12
13 The main problem with using a tar file and rsyncing that is that we have to
14 tar/untar the whole portage tree each time. That takes a while (and quite a
15 lot of space) :/
19 robh@g.o / robh:irc.freenode.net