From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 13:43:05
1 On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:02:35PM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 04/30/2011 11:46 AM, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/changelog/index.html
4 > >
5 > > There doesn't seem to be a common opinion on what the policy for
6 > > ChangeLog entries is. See:
7 > >
8 > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f829da2375f1ceab766a800913cc4998.xml
9 > >
10 > > I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
11 > > ChangeLog." If we eventually autogenerate them from git logs this would
12 > > happen any way (unless some kind of filtering system is in the middle)
13 > > so we could already start now. I think it's better to have more than
14 > > less information available to users.
15 > >
16 > > Regards,
17 > > Petteri
20 > "Every new file, and modification to existing file should have an entry
21 > in ChangeLog." to skip the proper ChangeLog-less removals.
22 >
23 I am actually with Samuli on this. Unless there is a particular reason
24 for removing a package, I don't see any point of documenting this change anywhere.
25 What difference would it make to you if you see an entry " -foo-1.0
26 old". It makes absolutely no sense.
27
28 Regards,
29 --
30 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2