From: Tom Gall <tgall@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] arm64 update
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:27:33
1 So first, for those interested in cheap arm64 hardware, the first 96 board is going to start shipping in March for ~$129. The HiKey board is an 8 way 64 bit ARM board with 8 A53 cores. (No A57s bummer!) Only had a gig of memory on the board but it’s not a bad device. I’ve had one for about 2-3 weeks now. I’m basically running off a USB hard disk for the moment and thankfully the kernel continues to improve.
2
3 The one downside is you really really need a 1.8v USB -> UART cable. You can get them from digikey and connect it on the board. If working with raw cables makes you squeamish take a breath, you’ll be fine.
4
5 Info and links at:
6
7 https://www.96boards.org
10 Ok so hardware aside here’s the arm64 gentoo plan.
11
12 1) new stage3 put together and get that onto the mirrors for consumption.
13 2) Get the handbook extended to include arm64
14 3) continued package stabilization
15
16 Volunteers most welcome.
17