From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:24:02
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:58:52PM +0100, Francesco R.(vivo) wrote:
2 > as subject says could gentoo change the policy and set an UTF-8 environment by
3 > default?
4 >
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml how to do it very well but having it
6 > already set could have the following two advantages:
7 >
8 > 1) well utf-8 is everywhere, even the linux weekly newsletter has it in 2012
9 > 2) the user need to change, not to create a /etc/env.d/XX-lc, creating a
10 > standard place where every gentoo install has this settings.
11 >
12 > contra?
13 >
14 > P.S. would be nice to have a wd_WD.UTF-8 with WD standing for world, just a
15 > country is so 1900
18 wd_WD.UTF-8 is certainly a no go. WD doesn't match any ISO country
19 code. To support it, we'd have to create the necessary supporting
20 files and that would lead to a lot of work and headaches trying to
21 determine what should be where in what order, et cetera.
22
23 All of the files we create (ebuilds, initscripts) are UTF-8 in
24 accordance with GLEP 31. So, the issue would be with upstream projects
25 not using UTF-8 for their files.
26
27 However, the stage 3, last time I used it, didn't default to a UTF-8
28 environment, and it didn't default to using and/or including a capable
29 UTF-8 font. It is something I think we should look at changing.
32 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
33 Gentoo Linux
34 Developer, Proxy Committer
35 Email : titanofold@g.o
36 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
37 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0