From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:24:02
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:58:52PM +0100, Francesco R.(vivo) wrote:
> as subject says could gentoo change the policy and set an UTF-8 environment by > default? > > how to do it very well but having it > already set could have the following two advantages: > > 1) well utf-8 is everywhere, even the linux weekly newsletter has it in 2012 > 2) the user need to change, not to create a /etc/env.d/XX-lc, creating a > standard place where every gentoo install has this settings. > > contra? > > P.S. would be nice to have a wd_WD.UTF-8 with WD standing for world, just a > country is so 1900 >
wd_WD.UTF-8 is certainly a no go. WD doesn't match any ISO country code. To support it, we'd have to create the necessary supporting files and that would lead to a lot of work and headaches trying to determine what should be where in what order, et cetera. All of the files we create (ebuilds, initscripts) are UTF-8 in accordance with GLEP 31. So, the issue would be with upstream projects not using UTF-8 for their files. However, the stage 3, last time I used it, didn't default to a UTF-8 environment, and it didn't default to using and/or including a capable UTF-8 font. It is something I think we should look at changing. -- Mr. Aaron W. Swenson Gentoo Linux Developer, Proxy Committer Email : titanofold@g.o GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
[gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>