From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] SuSE Kernel Sources
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:49:50
1 All:
2
3 It was suggested to me that I post this here so that all of you nice
4 developers could take a look if interested. Anyhow, I posted this earlier
5 to the gentoo-user email list as well as the Other things Gentoo forum.
6 What follows is my original message.
7
8 Regards,
9 Paul
10
11 > Being a big fan of SuSE before coming to Gentoo, I was interested to
12 > note that gentoo had RedHat kernel sources, but not SuSE sources.
13 > Since I have always preferred the stability of the SuSE kernel over
14 > RedHat's [I know it's a subjective opinion, so no comments please :)
15 > ] I decided to rectify the situation and create an ebuild for the
16 > SuSE kernel sources.
17 >
18 > I have installed the kernel on my desktops at work and at home and
19 > they have been running solid with the SuSE kernel for about two weeks
20 > now, with no issues arising concerning the kernel.
21 >
22 > Some features of the SuSE kernel that are not present in the
23 > gentoo-2.4.20-r7 sources are ALSA support built in, and more extensive
24 > support for Video for Linux support to include support for the
25 > Hauppauge WinTV cards.
26 >
27 > The gotcha's that I have noticed with using the SuSE kernel are:
28 >
29 > 1. The kernel sources are distributed by SuSE as an RPM. The RPM
30 > data is compressed with bzip instead of gzip. I discovered that
31 > rpm2targz doesn't understand bzipped RPM files and would not
32 > correctly process the rpm. Because of this, an explicit dependency
33 > for the kernel is the rpm ebuild. The only thing that is used from
34 > rpm is the rpm2cpio command to unpack the sources into the ebuild
35 > sandbox. I don't use rpm in any other way. The second dependency is
36 > cpio. This one really isn't an issue since it is part of the system,
37 > but to be safe, I included it anyway.
38 >
39 > 2. SuSE comes with ALSA ported into the kernel. The ALSA version
40 > used by SuSE is 0.9.0, while the Gentoo stable release is 0.9.2. I
41 > have configured the kernel to both use and not use the ALSA drivers
42 > bundled with the kernel and have not noticed a problem using either
43 > configuration.
44 >
45 > The following are the steps I took to install the kernel using
46 > genkernel. For those of you who completely roll your own kernel, I'm
47 > making the assumption, that you can figure it out from these
48 > instructions. I am also assuming that you already have your system
49 > up and running with another kernel, and that you have some familarity
50 > with the kernel compiling process.
51 >
52 > 1. Get the ebuild from:
53 >
54 http://varnerfamily.org/pvarner/gentoo/suse-sources-2.4.20.100.ebuild.tar.bz2
55 > 2. mkdir /usr/local/portage
56 > 3. cd /usr/local/portage
57 > 4. tar xvjf suse-sources-2.4.20.100.ebuild.tar.bz2
58 > 5. Edit /etc/make.conf and uncomment the PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable and
59 > set it to PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
60 > 6. emerge suse-sources
61 > 7.cd /usr/src
62 > 8. rm linux
63 > 9. ln -s linux-2.4.20-SuSE-100 linux
64 > 10. cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r7/.config
65 > /etc/kernels/config-2.4.20-SuSE-100
66 > 11. genkernel --config
67 > 12. In the kernel configuration, Processor Type and Features, ensure
68 > that Local APIC Support on uniprocessors and IO-APIC support on
69 > uniprocessors is turned on or ACPI support will not compile.
70 > 13. In the file systems section, ensure that /dev file system support
71 > and Automatically mount at boot is turned on. Turn off /dev/pts file
72 > system for Unix98 PTYs
73 > 14. Peruse through the rest of the configuration and set everything
74 > to match your hardware and desires.
75 > 15. Exit and save the config
76 > 16. Let genkernel do it's thing.
77 > 17. Modify the boot loader and add the entry for the new kernel and
78 > initrd
79 >
80 > Prior to rebooting, If I used built in ALSA support.
81 > 1. /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
82 > 2. emerge unmerge alsa-driver
83 > 3. emerge -i alsa-driver (inject the stub, so emerge -u won't try to
84 > reinstall alsa-driver)
85 > 4. reboot
86 > 5. login or su to root after the reboot and use lsmod to insure the
87 > sound modules loaded, use the alsamixer to make sure that the volume
88 > levels are set correctly.
89 >
90 > If I did not use the built in ALSA support.
91 > 1. /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
92 > 2. emerge alsa-driver
93 > 3. reboot
94 > 4. login or su to root after the reboot and use lsmod to insure the
95 > sound modules loaded, use the alsamixer to make sure that the volume
96 > levels are set correctly.
97 >
98 > Rebuild the other drivers that depend upon the kernel. For me, I
99 > have an nvidia card and use vmware, so I also execute the following.
100 >
101 > emerge nvidia-kernel
102 > vmware-config.pl
103 >
104 > If I get enough interest in the ebuild, I will submit it to gentoo for
105 > possible inclusion in the portage tree. At this point, besides
106 > determining possible interest, I'm also looking for problems with the
107 > ebuild as well as enhancements.
108 >
109 > One of the things that I would like to see, is an ebuild for creating
110 > only rpm2cpio. I have figured out how to build and install only
111 > rpm2cpio manually from the rpm sources. But I haven't decided the
112 > better method for creating and using such an ebuild. Should it block
113 > the install of rpm, or should the rpm ebuild be modified to unmerge
114 > the rpm2cpio ebuild if it is installed. Secondly, I'm not sure how I
115 > would specify in the suse-sources ebuild, the either the rpm or
116 > rpm2cpio ebuild would satisfy the dependency.
117 >
118 > Finally, as the SuSE /etc/motd would say "Have a Lot of Fun!"
123 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list