From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 49 - Package manager requirements
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:59:40
1 On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:54:18 +0200
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3 > *Primary Package Manager*
4 > There is one primary package manager.
5
6 Gentoo has always been about choice, could you explain what is the rationale behind having only one primary package manager?
7
8 > All ebuilds in the tree must function with the primary package
9 > manager.
10
11 I definitely see this is as a requirement. One thing I am wondering is, who is responsible for testing the over 24,000 ebuilds in the tree to make sure that they work with the new package manager? Is it the package manager team, arch teams, package/herd maintainers, arch/herd testers, or others?
12
13 > The primary package manager is maintained on official gentoo infrastructure,
14 > under control of gentoo developers.
15
16 I don't really see this as a requirement. Many Linux distributions use package managers that they don't have direct control over. Ubuntu uses apt, Mandrake uses rpm, etc.
17
18 ~tcort