From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:40:20
1 On Wednesday 11 August 2004 00:07, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:19:25PM +0100 or thereabouts, Chris Bainbridge
3 wrote:
4 > > So heres the cheeky proposal... make a "redhat" release. Follow redhats
5 > > release cycle, and match their versions. Use their backported fixes.
6 > > Commercial software will work. Bugs will be fixed. This is the power of
7 > > open source.
8 >
9 > You're making a HUGE assumption that red hat compiles from the same sources
10 > we compile from. That's simply not the case. Kernels, glibc, gcc, etc.
11 > almost always have a number of patches that they add. You cannot make the
12 > blanket statement that commercial software will work. More importantly,
13 > you can't make the assumption that commercial software *companies* will
14 > support their products on Gentoo, even if we're using the same version
15 > numbers of key packages.
16
17 er, of course I know we sometimes use sources with different patch sets. But
18 generally the patches don't change the functionality of the original software
19 that much. Its not impossible, but I'd be surprised to find any 3rd party
20 software that failed because of that. And if it does fail, then its easy to
21 check if the patches are different and find the bugfix.
22
23 Commercial companies aren't going to support gentoo anyway, but at least
24 enterprises could still run their software on gentoo if they wanted to.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list