From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 00:15:15
1 Roy Bamford posted on Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:51:47 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > You don't want to listen to Presidents too much. Look at other real
4 > life examples.
5 >
6 > Would you claim that the President of the Gentoo Foundation speaks for
7 > Gentoo?
8
9 If he were making claims of that nature, yes, barring information to the
10 contrary, I'd assume he had authority/authorization to do so, and would
11 definitely hold gentoo to a responsibility to either follow thru or
12 remove him for cause for making such claims without authorization to do
13 so (or at very minimum, to publicly repudiate the claims if they didn't
14 intend to follow thru). If none of that happened, I'd blame gentoo even
15 more than the spokesperson that made the claim, without public
16 repudiation.
17
18 You're right, they're PR people and as such, their claims must
19 (unfortunately) be taken with a grain of salt. But that doesn't
20 eliminate the responsibility of whatever organization to either follow
21 thru or repudiate, as it's the reputation and credibility of that
22 organization on the line if they don't.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman