From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 04:14:01
2010/7/5 Olivier Crête <tester@g.o>:
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 18:15 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote: >> which is trivial to fix and anyone with commit privs could have done.  it >> certainly doesnt warrant a paniced "the sky is falling" message. > > I think this is a great occasion to dump our stupid custom crap and > switch to SystemD, PolicyKit, NetworkManager, etc. Anyone with half a > brain already dropped our stuff. And the lack of use of modern tools is > the reason I don't use Gentoo on my work computer anymore. >
What you are saying makes sense for desktop users since they will likely already have consolekit/policykit/nm-applet installed, and hence using NetworkManager for all network management makes sense. However, this makes very little sense for people who install gentoo on servers. Requiring these things of them would be a disservice on our part (we're not fedora/ubuntu). And there is the issue that NetworkManager (aka NM) does not have any command line tools to control it (bring individual interfaces on/off, etc). cnetworkmanager exists, but it's third-party application, and I don't think it's that widely used/tested. From what I can see, we have three options: (a) Make our existing openrc network code + openrc configuration files work with systemd, and move to systemd by default (b) Make systemd work with openrc+NM configuration files[1], make NM work w/o PK/CK[2], add command line tools to NM, and move to systemd by default. (c) Support systemd as an alternative init system for use by desktop users. I'd go with (c), personally, but if enough people are interested, they can pursue any of these options. 1. There's an ongoing GSoC project in Gentoo to make NM work with openrc's configuration files. It is proceeding quite successfully thanks to the excellent work of Mu Qiao. 2, PK == polkit, CK == consolekit -- ~Nirbheek Chauhan Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>