From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage team, Zac's development break and stepping down as lead
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:41:53
1 On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:46:12 +0100
4 > Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Tom Wijsman wrote:
7 > > > So, yes, we need more people on pkgcore; no, we can't just leave
8 > > > Portage behind, as it still is the beating heart of Gentoo for now.
9 > >
10 > > I guess the point is that it might continue beating long enough mostly
11 > > on its own.
12 >
13 > How certain are you of this guess? How long is long enough? Mostly?
14 >
15 > At the moment, it beats mostly on our efforts to it; and in the near
16 > future, it'll need to adapt further to newer EAPIs as well as further
17 > bugs and other complexities in the Portage trees. Otherwise you'll get
18 > a lot of "we can't continue because they stopped developing Portage".
19 >
20 > Hence that's why it comes up every now and then as a subject, hence
21 > someone finally made the call to reinforcement, ...; so, it won't have
22 > to continue beating on its own at all.
25 As usual, it is nigh impossible to force people to work on a specific
26 project. I would encourage radhermit to ask for assistance if he thinks he
27 needs it. dol-sen asked because he is working on a bunch of projects and
28 knows he cannot maintain portage by himself. Even if the council were to
29 decree that portage be frozen, I doubt that would actually halt
30 contributions.
31
32 -A
36 > --
37 > With kind regards,
38 >
39 > Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
40 > Gentoo Developer
41 >
42 > E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
43 > GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
44 > GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D
45 >