From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:46:52
1 On Sunday 06 November 2005 02:57, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:18:14 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 > | > The following headers are used for filtering. If none of these
4 > | > headers are specified, the news item is displayed for all users.
5 > | > Otherwise, the news item is displayed if *at least one* header
6 > | > matches.
7 > |
8 > | It would seem more useful if the headers were sorted into the three
9 > | classes first. A news item would then only be displayed if a header
10 > | from the class matches or the class is empty. This would allow for
11 > | rules such as "net-www/apache is installed and the keyword is either
12 > | mips or sparc".
13 >
14 > Hrm. I'll need to think about that. But it's starting to sound nicer
15 > than the and/or/none voodoo I'd removed previously.
16
17 My sentences aren't making much sense either, even if you got my intention
18 anyway. ;) A news item would then only be displayed if a header from the
19 class matches or the class is empty *for each class*.
20
21 > | Isn't keyword just a generalization of profile? Why have both?
22 >
23 > Simplicity.
24
25 Ok. Just confirming.
26
27 > | > Thus, all proposed news items must be posted to the ``gentoo-dev``
28 > | > or ``gentoo-core`` mailing list, and ``Cc:``\ed to
29 > | > ``pr@g.o`` at least 72 hours before being committed
30 > | > (exceptions may be made in exceptional circumstances). Any
31 > | > complaints regarding wording or clarity **must** be addressed
32 > | > before the news item goes live.
33 > |
34 > | Why gentoo-core? It's a news item; it's purpose is to be made public.
35 >
36 > Possible security concerns. Hopefully this will never happen.
37
38 Ok.
39
40 > | Why put this in portage at all? Post sync hooks will likely be
41 > | available in 2.0.54. If adding hooks were as easy as adding a file to
42 > | a portage config directory, would adding the package that does the
43 > | above to the system package set be enough to force this new
44 > | information dispersal method on users?
45 >
46 > Performance. I have a bash script which does the installs that could
47 > easily be called by a hook, but it has to call portageq quite a bit.
48 > Otherwise a hook would be fine... Possibly it's fine anyway?
49
50 The script could be converted to Python. Or we can have a go at speeding up
51 portageq a bit. (Or both ;). It's just that there's only a small part of
52 integrated into portage as far as the current GLEP goes, which then partially
53 locks people out of working with the news items in alternative ways... Could
54 you send over the bash version of the post-sync script?
57 Jason Stubbs
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list