From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 22:27:54
1 On 03/08/2015 22:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 02 of August 2015 21:37:36 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> | The approach qt4=qt4
5 >> | and qt5=qt5 seems simpler on the surface, but it means that users end
6 >> | up having to set tons of per-package configurations when they don't
7 >> | actually care which one they use,
8 >>
9 >> I will risk a thesis that if they didn't care, they wouldn't have chosen
10 >> Gentoo...
13 > Obviously there are many reasons people use Gentoo, but here is my
14 > perspective on this.
15 >
16 > The value of Gentoo is that it gives you a LOT of power to tweak
17 > individual package configurations, without the requirement to do this
18 > for everything. There are packages that I carefully configure USE
19 > flags for, CFLAGS for, epatch_user, and so on. Heck, some packages I
20 > run in containers where I can carefully control almost all aspects of
21 > their environment. Then on the same host I'll have screen and bash
22 > and a million other packages installed where exact configuration is
23 > not critical, and so I want it to "just work." If I wanted to
24 > micromanage everything I might as well run Linux From Scratch.
25 >
26 > Gentoo should be the best of both worlds. We should give users the
27 > power to tweak things, but we shouldn't force them to play with config
28 > files all day long just to have a functional system. If users want to
29 > care we let them care instead of telling them "don't touch" like most
30 > other distros, but if they don't care we still provide reasonable
31 > defaults.
34 +1
35
36 One of the most powerful aspects of ebuilds is the ability to not have
37 to control something the user does not want to. I use Gentoo because I
38 can control what I wish and like Rich the bits I want to control are a
39 small fraction of the whole.
40
41 When a dev says "I will risk a thesis that if they didn't care, they
42 wouldn't have chosen Gentoo", there is a place for that but it is by no
43 means the general case. We DO accommodate the control freaks, we let
44 them USE="-*" and let them keep all the tiny shards.
45
46 But the truth is far more subtle than a care-all/care-none scenario.
47
48 I say stick with reasonable defaults, and for better or worse, that
49 includes "use highest version in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS unless user says otherwise"
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com