From: "Sérgio Almeida" <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>, gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Progress on Universal Select Tool
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:22:46
1 On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:22 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > Sérgio Almeida wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 17:28 +0200, Robert Buchholz wrote:
4 > >> On Thursday 23 July 2009, Sérgio Almeida wrote:
5 > >>> You changedir, you call uprofile, and
6 > >>> voila, new profile. You login again, default profile.
7 >
8 > ..., change back to your home dir, call uprofile, and you have your
9 > default (=login) environment.
12 Indeed... that's what's supposed to happen. Who wants to call uprofile?
13 Who doesn't?
14
15 > > if cmd = 'chdir':
16 > > uprofile
17 >
18 > > What do you guys think?
19 >
20 > While the per-directory profile sounds interesting and useful (a really
21 > good idea!), as it might solve the requirement for per-project
22 > environment here, the automatism for the 'cd' command feels like more
23 > confusing than useful: "WTF does 'cd' more than change directory?"
26 Atm, cd just changes dir as it is supposed to. Robert alerted us to the
27 fact that we can trigger a PRE_CMD on most shells when a CHANGEDIR
28 occurs.
29
30 > Instead, provide a command to update the environment for the current
31 > directory, which does search for an .uprofile/ in all the parent
32 > directories when there is no local one.
33 > Additionally, (let the user) define a *new* command that does both
34 > changing directory and updating the environment.
37 This is the question... Call uprofile manually or detect the profile
38 automatically? Both capabilities? Mmm...
39
40 > Another point: the per-directory profile solution feels like there is no
41 > need to distinguish between user- and directory-profile any more - as
42 > the user-profile would not be anything different than ~/.uprofile/, no?
45 Yes and no. ~/.uselect/ contains a bin/ environment (prepended to your
46 PATH by /etc/profile or something) a env.d/ and most probabily
47 something else that gets executed uppon login.
48
49 This does not invalidate you having a ~/.uprofile/. uprofile will
50 configure your ~/.uselect/ and your environment variables. Your user
51 profile will not be interpreted by python, uprofile turns profile files
52 (from python) into bin/ and env.d/ environment on your ~/.uselect.
53
54 This may seem confusing, but that's the best way I can explain. Later
55 this weekend will send a call for ideas/call for modules to the dev
56 list to get everyone known with the uselect environment. I'm just
57 finishing cleaning up the code to start commiting and using git
58 branches.
61 > Thank you!
64 I thank you! All! Have a nice weekend!
67 > /haubi/
70 Cheers,
71 Sérgio
72 --