From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) Updates
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:51:20
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:19:14PM +0100 or thereabouts, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Which is why I'm discouraging -@GROUPS for people who don't know what > they're doing. Although, if you understand how it works, it's entirely > obvious...
This is a key point. I would hope that we don't make architectural decisions that cater to those users who don't know what they're doing. Gentoo has historically been a distro targeted at users who *do* know what they're doing. That's not to say we can't help those who are newer to linux (perhaps warning messages or something if -@GROUP is used?) but the functionality should assume a savvy user. That's purely my opinion and it's bound to piss at least one person off. Let the flames begin. --kurt