From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News item preceding net-print/cups-1.6 stabilization
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:02:12
1 See below, I'm grateful for any improvements.
2
3 As there is a pending security bug, I'd like to commit this news item on
4 Sunday 2013/6/30 12:00 UTC and immediately afterwards request cups-1.6
5 stabilization.
9 Title: Printer browsing in net-print/cups-1.6
10 Author: Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
11 Content-Type: text/plain
12 Posted: 2013-06-29
13 Revision: 1
14 News-Item-Format: 1.0
15 Display-If-Installed: <=net-print/cups-1.6.2-r5
16
17 net-print/cups-1.6 no longer supports automatic remote printers or
18 implicit classes via the CUPS, LDAP, or SLP protocols, i.e. "network
19 browsing".
20
21 The browsing functionality can be restored by running cups-browsed
22 from net-print/cups-filters as a separate daemon (just add its init
23 script to your default runlevel). By default cups-browsed uses the
24 net-print/cups-1.5 browse protocol, but it can also utilize zeroconf
25 (if the zeroconf use flag is set). See /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf
26 for configuration.
27
28 Of course, directly specifying the location of your printers in
29 the cups interface works as well.
33 Andreas K. Huettel
34 Gentoo Linux developer
35 dilfridge@g.o