From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 22:28:15
1 On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:57:59PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > > > [1] http://www.semver.org
4 > > >
5 > > > Major version zero (0.y.z) is for initial development. Anything may change
6 > >
7 > > The problem is that version 0 hit stable
8 >
9 > Just treat version numbers as the meaningless counters they are.
10
11 They are not meaningless counters if you give them a meaning; that's
12 what semantic versioning is about.
13
14 > > I can't just randomly break things from 0.17 to 0.18 for example.
15 >
16 > Of course you can.
19 > Wait, actually, nothing should ever break randomly. Compatibility and
20 > so on..
21
22 That again is why there is semantic versioning. If you follow the rules
23 there, incrementing the major version number means you changed something
24 in an incompatible way, so people know about it when they get the new
25 release.
26
27 What I'm asking about is whether anyone knows of a smoothe way to
28 transition users from local/netmount to mount.<filesystem> dependencies,
29 without breaking systems. If that doesn't exist, 1.0 will have to sit in
30 p.mask until major packages catch up.
31
32 William