From: Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.9 removal and Python 3.11 stable
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:03:41
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 TL;DR:
4
5 1. We want to drop Python 3.9 from PYTHON_COMPAT around June 2023.
6
7 2. We want to switch to Python 3.11 as the stable compat at around the
8 same time.
9
10 3. Python 3.12 is coming at May, which will be hellish.
11
12 ===========================
13 Dropping Python 3.9 in June
14 ===========================
15
16 I'm happy to announce that the repo has fully migrated to Python 3.10
17 compatibility, and the only remaining package with only 3.9 is
18 dev-python/pathlib2, which is a backport. I want to thank all the people
19 who helped with it (the list is long so I won't list them).
20
21 Currently Python 3.9 is in "security" supported state upstream,
22 i.e. they no longer receive bugfixes except for (some of) security
23 backports.
24
25 We at Python project are planning to drop 3.9 from PYTHON_COMPAT at
26 around June 2023. Does this sound acceptable to all?
27
28 ==========================
29 Stable Python 3.11 in June
30 ==========================
31
32 Since dropping python 3.9 will result in use rebuild for our users, we
33 prefer to set python 3.11 as the stable compat at the same time (do note
34 that while a preference, this isn't a blocker). Which is why we also
35 think to bump the stable python to 3.11 at around June.
36
37 If you haven't ported your packages, please do so ASAP. If you notice a
38 package which isn't used and isn't ported, consider last-riting it. Any
39 help would be very appreciated. If you need help, ping us on
40 #gentoo-python, we are very active there.
41
42 =======================
43 Python 3.12 Beta in May
44 =======================
45
46 Python 3.12.0b1 is planned for May, with which we would (most likely)
47 add 3.12 to PYTHON_COMPAT. We are expecting it to be a hard release of
48 many reasons, one of them is removal of deprecated builtin distutils.
49
50 Knowing of this impending hard work, we want to ease our burden, by
51 dropping py3.9 and stabilizing 3.11.
54 Arthur Zamarin
55 arthurzam@g.o
56 Gentoo Linux developer (Python, pkgcore stack, Arch Teams, GURU)

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature