From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 08:14:27
1 On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 21:50:51 +0100
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > A draft of a Pre-GLEP for the Security project is available for
5 > reading at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:K_f/GLEP:Security
6 >
7 > The GLEP follows a line of GLEPs for special projects that have
8 > tree-wide access in order to ensure proper accountability (c.f GLEP 48
9 > for QA and still non-produced GLEP for ComRel (I've started working on
10 > this and will be presenting this one later as current ComRel Lead))
11 >
12 > Comments, patches, threats, etc welcome
15 Most of it seems more appropriate for a project page to me and up to
16 the sec. team, so I'll comment on the global parts only.
17
18 The only global part I see is the "Security package version/revision
19 bumps and package masks". This one would benefit from a proper
20 definition of the rules here: If severity is X then inactive is defined
21 to be Y days. After that, sec. team can fix themselves. It should also
22 be the same for masking: If severity is X and no fix is known after Y
23 days/months then sec. team should mask it (but not last rite it, this
24 should still be maintainer/treecleaners).
25
26 I think the delay should be clearly stated in the bug with something
27 like: Please keep in mind that since this is a remote code execution
28 vulnerability, security team will take action if nothing happens within
29 one week. If you have tools filling the severity fields then a proper
30 definition allows to automate this too.
31
32 My point here is to avoid having all the responsibility falling under
33 the lead but focus more on getting things done and educating fellow
34 developers: Lower delays for more serious bugs will make people
35 understand and prioritize better the issues at hand and their
36 implications.
39 Also, it'd be nice to have something more formal for sec. cleanup:
40 "After 30 days a sec. issue has been fixed, sec. team is free to
41 cleanup old vulnerable versions.". I've seen too much pings by sec.
42 team members on old bugs for this and they could have spent the same
43 amount of time simply doing it instead.
44
45 Alexis.