From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GDP Status Update
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:11:41
1 This is the status of the Gentoo Documentation Project. It will be posted
2 regularly, but not with a static frequency. All questions can be posted to
3 gentoo-doc@g.o or to me personally.
4
5 The Gentoo Documentation Project, from now on abbreviated to GDP, has its own
6 project page (just like almost all other Gentoo projects). You can find it at
7 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp.
8
9 This status mail will briefly discuss the following tasks, objectives and/or
10 projects related to the GDP:
11 - PDF documentation
12 - Translator script
13 - Gentoo Handbook development
14 - Translation-specific requests
15
16 ** PDF documentation
17
18 Sadly enough, the previously discussed option (FOP) is a no-go. It requires a
19 working XFree installation, which is not allowed on our webservers. Blackace is
20 checking out if PassiveTex is a better solution, but he is having problems
21 getting pdfxmltex to work (as did I).
22
23 Don't expect Gentoo to provide PDFs really soon now. Creating them off-line is
24 no problem (lots of existing solutions) so perhaps some developer might publish
25 PDF versions of documents on his webspace at dev.gentoo.org (I'm checking out if
26 I will do that or not). However, this will *not* be an official location.
27
28 ** Translator script
29
30 Xavier Neys has been improving his ruby-script that allows lead translators to
31 quickly grasp the situation of the translation efforts. More information is
32 available at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/748.
33
34 ** Gentoo Handbook development
35
36 The development of the Gentoo Handbook is continuïng (duh). The second part of
37 the Handbook is progressing, with 5 out of 7 chapters finished. This includes
38 chapters on:
39 - USE flags
40 - Portage
41 - Init scripts
42
43 The draft version of these chapters can be found online at
44 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/draft/handbook.xml?part=2
45
46 ** Translation-specific requests
47
48 I have asked all translation teams to give some input on how the translation
49 process can be improved, what issues they have and how the documentation team
50 can help more. This resulted in a couple of requests, amongst which are
51 language-specific mailinglists and a GWN request for more volunteers.
52
53 The mailinglists for the Polish, German and Indonesian language have been
54 created to improve the translation efforts, and the GWN has asked for extra
55 volunteers for some languages. Some translation teams have already noticed more
56 volunteer requests.
57
58 Wkr,
59 Sven Vermeulen