From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: media-video/ffmpeg/
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 16:46:10
1 On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:52:32 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:26:43 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Dnia 20 listopada 2015 11:19:35 CET, Alexis Ballier
8 > > <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
9 > > >On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 23:21:52 +0100
10 > > >Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
11 > > >
12 > > >> And here you removed the newest version having ~ia64 keyword,
13 > > >breaking
14 > > >> revdeps:
15 > > >>
16 > > >> https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/1061286/7.html#l885
17 > > >>
18 > > >> I suggest you use eshowkw before removing packages. Please fix or
19 > > >> revert this.
20 > > >
21 > > >done; thx for the reminder
22 > > >
23 > > >
24 > > >feel free to revert such commits (at least mine) and send me an email
25 > > >so that i get notified something went wrong in the future
26 > > >
27 > > >PS: can't these checks/emails be automated ? it must be very boring
28 > > >to manually track the culprit from ci output
29 > >
30 > > Not one that I can think of. This usually requires looking at what
31 > > changed in both packages, and sometimes profiles. I don't want to
32 > > blame wrong people just because someone made an irrelevant commit in
33 > > a package.
34 >
35 > if CI runs after each commit, it should just be a matter of emailing
36 > the author when some new breakage appears
37
38 If CI were to run after each commit, I'd need a cluster of servers to
39 run it ;-). On the pretty powerful server donated to the task it takes
40 7 minutes for a single run, with 16 parallel jobs.
41
42 Of course, someone could try to optimize it more, or write a faster
43 checker. I'd really appreciate if someone had the time to do that ;-).
44
45 At some point, I wanted to make it try 'git bisect'-ing when new
46 failure occurs. However, I don't have the time nor the resources to
47 work on it. In fact, I don't even have time to make it a little bit
48 smarter and figure out which packages are failing. Right now, it only
49 reports changes in number of failures -- if you fix one and break one,
50 it won't report that.
51
52 So, yes, there's a lot of work and nobody to do it.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny
57 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>