From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: firefox-1.5.x still in ~arch
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:59:03
1 Matthias Langer posted <1142778259.17324.16.camel@××××××××××.ruz-net>,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:24:19 +0100:
3
4 > I'm just curious: What is the reason that firefox-1.5.x is still in
5 > ~arch ?
6
7 General policy is that an ebuild should be bug-free in ~arch for 30 days
8 before it is stabilized. Individual herds and maintainers may have their
9 own policies, but the above 30 day guideline is the general Gentoo rule of
10 thumb.
11
12 Looking at the changelog, mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-r2 was only added to the
13 tree on February 24. The -r2 indicates updates serious enough to bump the
14 release number were released at least twice, and the 1.5 ebuilds are at
15 -r9, indicating 10 versions (the first being -r0, not marked with an
16 release number, of course).
17
18 That's a /lot/ of versions! I'd guess there have simply been enough
19 issues that no version of 1.5 has yet made it 30 days bug-free in ~arch,
20 altho the .0.1-r2 version above is getting close to 30 days in ~arch now,
21 tho I don't know its bug status.
22
23 I often check the portage tree changelogs and Gentoo bugzilla site status
24 of particular packages that I'm interested in. I'm glad the info is
25 available, as it has proven useful quite often.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list