From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 20:07:46
1 On 4/24/19 8:53 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > systemd.eclass has more than one purpose, and therefore such dep didn't
4 > belong there (ebuilds should take care of the dependencies when using
5 > tmpfiles logic from it). tmpfiles.eclass on the other hand has a single
6 > purpose, so we've solved the problem by adding an RDEPEND there.
9 I don't quite buy that either: do we assume that users will be running
10 either OpenRC or systemd?
11
12 If we do, then the RDEPEND on virtual/tmpfiles is redundant.
13
14 If we don't, then someone running (say) daemontools might want to
15 install a package that comes with a tmpfiles.d entry. Per our small file
16 policy, the tmpfiles.d entry should be installed unconditionally. And if
17 the tmpfiles entry needs to be processed immediately on OpenRC/systemd,
18 then tmpfiles_process() from tmpfiles.eclass must be used to support
19 OpenRC users. But, that will pull in virtual/tmpfiles unnecessarily on a
20 system that's running neither OpenRC nor systemd.
21
22 This is probably a "go away nobody cares" issue, but I'd prefer to
23 understand it first.