From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:59:00
1 On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:42:20PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:06:18 +0200
3 > Harald van Dijk <truedfx@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The GNU toolchain is not supported by Gentoo, and in fact gets
6 > > actively broken with unsupported command-line options. Only the GNU
7 > > toolchain as modified by Gentoo's toolchain guys is supported,
8 > > unfortunately.
9 >
10 > What exactly is it about the toolchain supplied with Gentoo that causes
11 > you problems?
12
13 I don't have a lot of trust in Gentoo's patches, as they have resulted
14 in completely and utterly unusable ld, and (minor) data loss due to a
15 miscompilation by Gentoo's gcc, in the past. Also, being able to check
16 whether your own software compiles with a GNU toolchain is to me a good
17 thing.
18 --
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list