From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:59:08
1 On 09/12/2012 09:33 AM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 08:58 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 >
4 >> So essentially what you're saying here is that it might be worthwhile
5 >> to look into parallelism as a whole and possibly come up with a
6 >> solution that combines 'emerge --jobs' and build-system parallelism
7 >> together to maximum benefit?
8 >
9 > Forget about jobs and load average, and just keep starting jobs all
10 > around until there is only 20% (or whatever tuneable amount) free memory
11 > left. As far as I can tell this is always the real bottleneck in the
12 > end. Once you hit swap overall throughput has to go down quite a bit.
13
14 Well, I think it's still good to limit the number of jobs at least,
15 since otherwise you could become overloaded with processes that don't
16 consume a lot of memory at first but by the time they complete they have
17 consumed much more memory than desired (using swap).
18 --
19 Thanks,
20 Zac