From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:23:04
1 On 02-06-2011 17:15:11 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > > - no discussion on what to include or not (everything is in there)
3 >
4 > In git, we can make git log skip commit messages while generating the
5 > ChangeLog, so this is incorrect. See section "Commit Limiting" in git
6 > log --help.
7
8 Assuming this is actually desirable, what rules would you suggest here?
9
10 > > Simple cons I see mentioned:
11 > > - useless information on removals of ebuilds/files
12 > > - useless information on whitespace changes
13 >
14 > None of these are valid with Commit Limiting and a tag such as
15 > '[trivial]' in the commit message subject.
16
17 By allowing this, "[trivial] old" is bringing you back to current policy
18 ("commont sense") problems.
19
20 > All these problems are fixed if we don't re-generate the *existing*
21 > ChangeLogs. We should simply archive the existing ChangeLog, and
22 > append to it after the move to git.
23
24 Fair suggestion, I didn't consider at first.
25
26 > Infact, if you do the same experiment on the openrc ChangeLog, you'll
27 > see that it's too much work to regenerate the current ChangeLog
28 > because a few commits managed to change the encoding of names in the
29 > file, and a reverse-patch had to be applied to fix it. A number of
30 > developers have made this mistake, and it shows up across the tree.
31
32 I just created openrc's ChangeLog (attached to this mail). In what way
33 exactly is it too much work? It's just a ChangeLog like many others, e.g.:
34
35 | - 06 Jan 2011; William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> openrc-9999.ebuild:
36 | - remove /etc/init.d/{depscan,runscript}.sh for bug #347483.
37 | + 07 Jan 2011; Bob the Builder <williamh@g.o> openrc-9999.ebuild:
38 | + Fix bug #347483 -- remove broken symlinks for depscan.sh and runscript.sh.
41 > In git, there's no harm with making commit messages verbose, so we
42
43 Why is this harmful with the current system?
44
45 > > - a clear policy is necessary on what is going in the ChangeLog and what
46 > >  not (like the current "common sense" discussions going on and the
47 > >  updated devmanual)
48 >
49 > However, with git the issue is simplified because then developers will
50 > stop relying on ChangeLogs for information, and ChangeLogs will be
51 > used entirely to convey information to users.
52
53 I don't see how that simplifies. I only see how that would completely
54 change things/intents. Can you elaborate?
58 Fabian Groffen
59 Gentoo on a different level

ChangeLog.2 text/plain