From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:50:28
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 10:22, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 09:54, Grobian wrote:
3 > > It appears that some people
4 > > don't agree with you on changing the assumptions made in the current
5 > > portage tree.
6 >
7 > I'm not going to ask for dropping the assumption, I'm just asking for
8 > making sure that the assumption is actually backed up with actual presence.
9 > The sed/gsed naming shouldn't be too hard to achieve and it's already
10 > common in non-GNU userlands. As we seen for gmake/gawk, it's also a common
11 > way to make sure for some scripts to use a GNU tool.
12 >
13 > > Solution to this is making the GNU tool the default for portage known
14 > > under its non-g-prefixed name, such that the assumptions made in the
15 > > tree hold.
16 >
17 > This requires (ab)using /usr/lib/portage/bin .. last time you were against
18 > that, weren't you?
19
20 What about a separate directory which is arch specific. Or have it installed
21 by an arch package, not by portage itself. Obviously a sed wrapper is not
22 needed for gnu systems, but is for bsd based ones. etc.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer