From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 is brokened :(
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:54:43
1 Unfortunately Portage and Pkgcore have broken EAPI 2 implementations.
2 So far as I can see:
3
4 Portage:
5
6 * doesn't implement the 'default' function correctly for src_prepare.
7
8 Pkgcore:
9
10 * doesn't implement src_prepare
11 * doesn't have a working default
12 * default_src_configure and default_src_prepare are the only
13 default_s that work
14
15 Unfortunately, neither appears to have comprehensive unit tests
16 covering all new EAPI 2 functionality, so these got through into
17 package managers that made it into the tree.
18
19 This is a bit of a mess. Possible solutions are:
20
21 * Ignore it, and tell anyone using broken package managers to upgrade,
22 and deal with the resulting mess.
23
24 * Create a new EAPI 3 which is identical to EAPI 2. Make really really
25 sure Portage and Pkgcore implement it correctly before they go into the
26 tree. Deprecate EAPI 2, and convert everything using it to EAPI 3.
27
28 * Avoid using any broken feature, and retroactively remove the
29 definitions from EAPI 2. Unfortunately, this probably isn't viable
30 because of the src_prepare thing in Pkgcore (were it merely an
31 unusable 'default' we could get away with this).
32
33 None of these are very nice. Better options would be encouraged... We
34 have to do *something*, though, because this is hitting users already
35 (see bug 240684 for one).
38 Ciaran McCreesh