From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New RESTRICT=live value for identification of live ebuilds?
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:18:58
1 Vaeth wrote:
2 > The main point in introducing the "live" USE flag should be IMHO to
3 > let the user decide whether the sources should be fetched. The fact
4 > that IUSE then marks live ebuilds in the way which you wanted is an
5 > additional side effect.
6
7 A tend to agree with Zac that USE flags should not dictate package
8 manager behavior (e.g. whether a package gets included in a specific
9 package set or defining a package as "live"), and the idea of the IUSE
10 side-effect seems a bit unclean (i.e., behaviors that the dev did not
11 intend might end up being a surprize; I think we need to be careful
12 about side-effects).
13
14 However, I do see the point about the RESTRICT variable. Throwing
15 random flags into it does not seem ideal, and I think convenience should
16 take a back seat to correctness when designing, e.g., ebuild
17 syntax/rules. But why would using a new variable require an EAPI change
18 any more than adding new flags to RESTRICT? I.e., if people start using
19 "OPTIONS=" or "FLAGS=", it would simply be ignored by older package
20 manager versions, just like new RESTRICT values would be ignored. Or am
21 I missing something fundamental?
22
23 -Joe