From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:23:19
1 On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:38:19 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > I always wondered why pkg_pretend never caught on.
4 >
5 > I to can see the advantage of it over REQUIRED_USE; it would allow the
6 > package maintainer to give specific error messages about why use flag
7 > combinations are invalid for a package.
8 >
9 > Without really knowing what the opposing viewpoint is, I think
10 > pkg_pretend is the better way to go as well.
11
12 The opposing viewpoint was ferringb believing he could do "automatic
13 dependency resolution" for a build server setup, without trying it and
14 without an implementation, and that a human-readable pkg_pretend would
15 somehow preclude that.
16
17 (Incidentally, Exherbo has automatic dependency resolution for a build
18 server setup, and human-readable messages, and it got there by trying
19 stuff out before inflicting it upon everyone by diktat...)
22 Ciaran McCreesh