From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:21:14
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 16:34, Mikey wrote:
2 > You guys have made the decision to stop supporting stage1 installs. The
3 > "official" installation method is a stage3. What I documented, and tested,
4 > is what you are telling users they have to do. Download stage3, emerge
5 > --sync, update system.
6 >
7 > The only problem is that you don't actually tell the users what to do when
8 > there are major issues, such as gcc upgrades. There is no link in the
9 > handbook or the gentoo documentation page mentioning the fact that they
10 > can't just upgrade their gcc without going through the proper process you
11 > mention above. What I documented is what any user would _need_ to do to
12 > get their system installed using your recommended installation method.
13 >
14 > And those instructions have nothing whatsoever to do with common sense from
15 > a new, or even experienced users perspective. Knowing that a gcc upgrade
16 > will break libtool is not common sense, nor is it commonly known.
17
18 It will not break libtool. It breaks broken libtool files. There should be no
19 reason for those files to actually specify libstdc++ at all. The dependency
20 is already pulled in by the affected library, so does not need to be
21 specified in the libtool file at all.
22
23 This goes however to the issue of broken libtool files and broken linking by
24 libtool. An entirely different matter and more related to the "--as-needed"
25 discussion.
28 > Yes, but I have been called an idiot here for following the instructions
29 > given to upgrade gcc. They are not my instructions, they are not the way I
30 > would do it, they are YOUR instructions.
31 >
32 Those are general case instructions, that in this case are making you do extra
33 work. If you know what you are doing, like Chris could be expected to, you
34 can skip some steps. All that can happen is that you need to remerge some
35 package because it doesn't work anymore.
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze
41 Gentoo Developer