From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:10:22
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 01:15, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 >
3 > There are several reasons to handle it slightly different:
4 > a) Paludis is a new package manager, not a different kernel nor
5 > userland.
6 > b) We don't need additional packages that need to go into the tree and
7 > which aren't used by any other arch than bsd.
8 > c) We don't need to keyword any packages.
9 > d) Paludis _can_ use existing profiles. There is no problem with that,
10 > and we did this for quite some time already. Interesting part is the
11 > multiple inheritance of profiles and the different (in my eyes
12 > improved) handling of profile configuration.
13 >
14 > In my eyes, these warrant adding a toplevel profile directory.
15
16 Your argumentation is unfortunately incomplete. Paludis is a package
17 manager whose development and profiles can be tested largely outside the
18 tree. While having a profile package for paludis might be inconvenient,
19 the functionality is not different.
20
21 The main point you fail to mention however is that paludis is as yet not
22 complete. At some point in the stabilisation of paludis gentoo has to
23 decide whether paludis will receive some level of official support. At
24 that time tests involving in-tree profiles can be conducted.
25
26 There are however a number of requirements I want to state that paludis
27 should meet before I consider it a stable portage replacement:
28 - Paludis must be able to handle a standard portage /var/db/pkg tree. This
29 means that paludis can read it, and write it. Enabling mixing portage
30 and paludis up to some degree.
31 - Paludis must work with all current ebuilds, and support all features of
32 portage. This includes recognition of EAPI, and no renaming of the
33 variables used.
34 - No part of the tree, except those that by nature are paludis specific,
35 may require the usage of paludis instead of portage. This requirement
36 can only be removed after a decision is made by the council to retire
37 portage in favour of paludis.
38 - It would be greatly beneficial if paludis would create and use .tbz2
39 packages, but this is not essential.
40
41 Below I'll outline some of the consequences.
42
43 - Paludis may enhance ebuilds by directing the build process into a more
44 efficient behaviour. As long as the ebuild still functions properly on
45 portage, this should not be an issue. Examples would be in-ebuild
46 documentation of use variables, enhanced dependency handling.
47 - Paludis enhanced packages (except paludis related ebuilds) should only
48 be accepted into the tree when it is seen as a stable package manager.
49 - Paludis may choose to handle different format package descriptions
50 (.ebuild.2?). Those can not appear in the official tree though before
51 paludis is recognised as primary package manager.
52 - Overlays can be used for various ways to extend paludis.
53 - The first requirement of reading /var/db/pkg can be interpreted twofold.
54 Either paludis should support it natively (as one of the options), or it
55 should be able to convert from and to the /var/db/pkg format.
56 - It is allowed for out-of-tree package descriptions to require a
57 different installed package database format. Things like paralel
58 installation of 32bit and 64bit packages require this. As yet the tree
59 should not offer this though.
60
61 Paul
64 Paul de Vrieze