From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] DIGESTS metadata variable for cache validation
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:30:43
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:26:44 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> Regardless of what the EAPI value happens to be, the package
4 > >> manager should be able to trust that the version identifier is a
5 > >> reliable indicator of the mechanism which should be used to
6 > >> validate the integrity of the cache entry.
7 > >
8 > > Validate it against what? If EAPI is unsupported, the package
9 > > manager can't make use of INHERITED to see what DIGESTS means.
10 >
11 > In the example given, the DIGESTS version identifier would serve to
12 > indicate that the INHERITED field behaves as required by the
13 > validation mechanism (regardless of EAPI). If INHERITED can no
14 > longer be used like that in a new EAPI, the DIGESTS format/version
15 > will have to be bumped.
16
17 So in effect we're introducing a second level of versioned
18 compatibility testing? Strikes me as excessive, especially since it
19 only works for EAPIs where the scope of changes is small enough to
20 keep the meaning of INHERITED and DIGESTS the same...
23 Ciaran McCreesh