From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:56:00
1 On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 07:13:42PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > - You have a commit, that you want to put into the Gentoo tree.
3 > - You have already pushed it to your github, signed
4
5 If I have a github tree, that would probably be because I didn't have
6 push access to the official tree, so signing the commit probably
7 isn'tgoing to matter; I would expect that a gentoo dev who has push
8 access to the tree would sign the commit when it is put into the gentoo
9 tree.
10
11 > - It needs to be merged/rebased so that it applies on the Gentoo tree.
12 > - If you force it to be a rebase so it applies on the tip, then you may
13 > have changed the history of your github tree, and broken any further
14 > forks.
15 > - If you permit a merge instead, nobody gets broken.
16
17 If you do this:
18
19 git rebase master mybranch
20 git checkout master
21 git merge mybranch <-- this is a fast-forward merge
22 git pull --rebase
23 git push
24
25 I think that covers this concern doesn't it?
26
27 > > > 2.
28 > > > Git-SVN breakage. Why does this matter you're wondering?
29 > > > We need the newer Git for the commit signing, but it comes with a
30 > > > price, the git-svn binary has some major failures with SVN 1.7.
31 > > > Git since 1.7.8 has been broken this way.
32 > > To clarify - these won't be issues for gentoo per se, but there is a
33 > > sense that we can't stabilize the latest git because it will break it
34 > > for people using git-svn on non-gentoo work?
35 > As the Git maintainer, I will not keyword it for anybody until I know
36 > it's not going to lose/corrupt data, regardless of what they are using
37 > it for.
38
39 Why not keyword it and use package.use.mask for the git-svn flag?
40
41 William