From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: John Jawed & Alex Tarkovsky's einput eclass
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 05:56:09
1 On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 04:53:40 +0100
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > I understand that games are a `special case', but why not make it a
5 > RESTRICT=interact which would automatically mean repoman would not
6 > allow the package into stable, and admins could easily weed such
7 > packages out? That way any category could use the same thing for
8 > packages with more restrictive licenses. (I'm not suggesting this
9 > should be merged with fetch-restricted as I accept that some stable
10 > Java packages have this set, and there's zero benefit in changing
11 > them.)
12
13 This isn't about stable or not stable, or about games being special. No
14 ebuild _should_ be interactive, period. However in some cases there is
15 no way to make it non-interactive, and the concentration of those cases
16 is particulary high in the games category (mainly because of a lack of
17 high quality OSS games).
18 Oh, and I've withdrawn the RESTRICT idea as there is a better/more
19 generic solution (not yet implemented though).
20
21 > So yeah I guess it's encouragement, but if the policy is such
22 > packages can never hit stable, where's the harm? A user has to
23 > explicitly allow such a package (or run unstable in which case they
24 > will be used to dealing with glitches ;) and scripts can still avoid
25 > interactive packages. (And bear in mind, it's not just uis we're
26 > talking about, but stuff like QA automation.)
27
28 Again, interactivity isn't a criterium for a package becoming stable or
29 not.
30
31 Marius
34 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>