From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [RFC] Masterplan for solving LINGUAS problems
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 22:54:49
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
4 > wrote:
5 >> How can I select different linguas for individual packages with this
6 >> approach?
7 >
8 > Why would you want to?
9
10 As programmer I am used to read English manuals and for most command line
11 tools it is the only up-to-date documentation. Development tools or system
12 configuration with translated manuals is simply awful for me. Therefore I've
13 set LINGUAS to "en" in make.conf and run my shells with "LANG=en_US.UTF-8".
14
15 Situation changes for GUI stuff like office applications where I feel more
16 comfortable as "normal" user. KDE is configured for German language and for
17 a lot of those apps I've explicitly set linguas_de in package.use. For
18 libreoffice and calligra I've even added linguas_fr to get French spelling
19 support.
20
21 For me it is currently very convenient to look simply at the use flags of a
22 package to see which languages will be supported. Gnucash is the only
23 application I had to set environment variables for (using package.env) to
24 get German language support (and it took me a while to find this and get it
25 right). I may have missed other packages that do not use IUSE_EXPAND, simply
26 because I am not aware of the support.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Jörg