From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Code shutdown requires 524 ebuilds to be fixed before end of 2016
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:42:21
1 On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:57:10 +0100
2 Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The shutdown is in two weeks.
5 > One can see clearly a drop of broken ebuilds after the first mail on the
6 > mailinglist and after the personal mail on 2016-11-24. [1] Thank you all
7 > for fixing so many ebuilds already.
8 > But still 400 ebuilds use googlecode.
9
10 Double checking here, but surely, packages which have newer google code versions
11 don't need the old versions killed prematurely.
12
13 For instance, dev-perl/Google-Ads-AdWords-Client had[1] version 2.xxx from GoogleCode,
14 but has a version 4.xxx now from CPAN/Github.
15
16 I don't think I *need* to kill the 2.xxx version, and I'm no hurry to force
17 everyone who was using 2.xxx to make a radical major version shift and break their
18 code.
19
20 So I think as long as:
21
22 1. No mirror restrictions
23 2. Its mirrored
24 3. There is a clear succession away from google code in newer versions.
25
26 We're not harming anyone by keeping old versions from googlecode.
27
28 So:
29
30 > But still 400 ebuilds use googlecode.
31
32 There may be significantly less here to worry about.
35 1: When writing this email I realised they might have mirrored a SHA-identical version
36 of the old 2.xxx series to CPAN, and lo and behold, they did!, so this email now becomes
37 a purely theoretical exercise :)