From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Git workflow
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 15:17:47
1 On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 12:03:29PM +0700, C Bergström wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > C Bergström posted on Sun, 05 Jul 2015 01:17:41 +0700 as excerpted:
4 > >
5 > >> I super don't like "merge" workflows.
6 > >> 1) "merge commits" are confusing at best and normal tools don't display
7 > >> and work with them as you'd always expect
8 > >
9 > > git log --graph, as others have mentioned.
10 >
11 > we are not talking about the same thing.
12 >
13 > I want to see the "diff" - not the graph.
14 >
15 > svn diff -r 1234
16 > git show <hash>
17 >
18 > show me the "merge" commit in diff format
19
20 So this isn't a good comparison. You are asking for a merge commit in
21 git and a normal commit in svn. Svn can branch but it is so complicated
22 that no one ever does it. If you were similarly to never ever make
23 branches in git its not a huge deal. (There are not *that* many pushes
24 to the tree, if you look at #gentoo-commits there is plenty of time
25 between commits.)
26
27 While I personally rebase almost all of my stuff, merges are important
28 when taking contributions. A good example would be the main linux kernel
29 tree, if Linus were to merge everything it would be incredibly difficult
30 to figure anything out.
31
32 -- Jason