From: Nick Devito <nick125@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LAMP Server beauty contest: server monitoring
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:26:52
1 On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 21:41 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > One of the things that the LAMP Server seed will install will be
5 > something to do automatic server monitoring - CPU, RAM, swap, disk
6 > space, bandwidth, and so on.
7 >
8 > I'm a cacti user myself on my own boxes, but I'm interested to hear if
9 > anyone has any strong preference for an alternative tool. I'd prefer
10 > it if the tool we finally choose is SNMP-based, to make it easy for
11 > folks who want to deploy the LAMP Server in a web farm / multi-server
12 > environment.
13 >
14 > Please reply to the list naming your favourite tool for this job, and why.
15 >
16 > Best regards,
17 > Stu
18
19 I really like using rrdtool and mrtg, but, those are as user-friendly as
20 cacti. Cacti is a pretty decent tool though, and, I used to use it
21 before I switched to mrtg/rrdtool. One reason I use rrdtool in my setup
22 is because I need custom graphs that cacti can't provide, but, I guess
23 that in 95% of setups, custom graphs shouldn't be needed. And, I agree
24 on making it SNMP-based. SNMP is a decent standard, and, its widely used
25 by routers, servers, and, hell, I think my printer even has a SNMP
26 server running on it. Thats just my opinion
27
28 ~ Nick
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list