From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Florian Kamm <florian.kamm@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Willing to support the wxWidgets maintainers if any
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:45:56
1 On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:46 +0100, Florian Kamm wrote:
2 > Hello,
3
4 Hey,
5
6 > I am currently developing applications using the great wxWidgets GUI
7 > framework and I noticed that the appropriate gentoo packages are not
8 > very actively maintained.
9
10 Yeah, I've been concentrating on GNOME-2.16 more (other than being lazy
11 and slacking in general), but that's handled now and I can move
12 concentration to wxWidgets for a while again.
13
14 > So I think about contributing either to the
15 > maintenance of already existing packages (including the wxWidgets
16 > library itself) or to the development of new ebuilds concerning projects
17 > which use the wxWidgets library.
18 > E.g. some work could be done to support different slots of the wxWidgets
19 > library (coexisting release and debug versions and/or coexisting major
20 > releases). This might yield to the development of an eselect script
21 > allowing to switch from one to an other wxWidgets library version or to
22 > switch from the debug to the release version. This is already supported
23 > by the wx-config utility tool.
24
25 To a certain extent of "supported".
26
27 Anyhow, the plan of action for wxWidgets:
28
29 1) Get two things handled for wxGTK-2.6.3.3 (a patch I need to add for a
30 build fix for some machines and looking if we need to restrict MAKEOPTS
31 to -j1 again) and request stabilization of wxGTK-2.6.3.3 and
32 wxpython-2.6.3.2 (as the current latest stable versions mismatch badly,
33 this is a big improvement - the subrelease [fourth number] mismatch is
34 purely cosmetical, while a mismatch of minor version number can cause
35 real problems)
36
37 2) Finish up the fixes for wxpython ebuild and add them together with
38 2.6.3.3. Stabilize it at some point.
39
40 3) Phase out wxGTK and wxpython 2.4 versions. Port or treeclean
41 applications that don't work with 2.4; get rid of 2.4
42
43 4) Probably at some point add 2.6.4 - upstream is planning to release it
44 soon for some important bug fixes for applications that haven't ported
45 to 2.8 yet (see bug 151528 for such an example).
46
47 5) Work towards adding 2.8 to the tree, getting some outstanding
48 problems sorted out together with the new SLOT, most notably file
49 collisions and multi-version handling
50
51 5a) Patch translation files to be versioned, as to not have collisions
52 from wxstd.mo files, but instead have wxstd-2.8.mo for 2.8 (no need to
53 patch 2.6, as 2.4 is going out and then 2.6 is the only with just
54 wxstd.mo)
55
56 5b) Introduce an eselect module as you suggested as well. Make it handle
57 the wx-config symlink for users and provide wx-config and wxwin.m4 files
58 from it; perhaps some other files too. Make it block all versions before
59 the new 2.6 and 2.8 versions that depend on it - this also ensures users
60 will unmerge wxGTK-2.4 SLOT out of their system, as it continues causing
61 the problems we are trying to solve.
62
63 5c) Check the dependencies for apps - ensure that those that have
64 >=wxGTK-2.6 really mean it, and same with =wxGTK-2.6*, and so on
65
66 5d) Figure out the automatic version selection through wxwin.m4 for
67 applications - they are supposed to all honor what we are doing to
68 select the version, and as such not rely on what the wx-config symlink
69 points at. This way wx-config would become strictly a non-portage thing
70 for convenience, and easy version choosing for self-compiled apps
71 through the eselect module
72
73 6) Fix the mess that is LDFLAGS handling in wxWidgets configure.in - it
74 adds user set LDFLAGS to wx-config outputs and breakage ensues. To fix
75 it, configure.in should use a different variable for things it adds
76 itself, and use that only for wx-config, while for the compilation of
77 the library both the extra variable and (user set) LDFLAGS would be
78 used.
82 So if you want to help with any of these steps or more (we maintain some
83 apps and other libs too), feel free to discuss this with me. I prefer
84 IRC communication for things like that, but e-mail correspondence is
85 fine too, just slow. I'm leio on irc.freenode.net network.
86
87 > I will be grateful to anyone who could help me in my intention to become
88 > a gentoo developer or point me to the right place to discuss about.
89
90 That doesn't sound bad :)
91 We'd have to look a mentor for you then, but I'm sure that will not a
92 problem.
93 For starters we can get things done without developer status though and
94 then at some point I'd be willing to vouch for you, if you do a good
95 job ;)
99 Mart Raudsepp
100 Gentoo Developer; wxwindows and gnome herd
101 Mail: leio@g.o
102 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio