From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Base profile changes should be announced/discussed on this list.
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:44:43
1 Walter Dnes posted on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 05:53:50 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hold on a minute. There is a *MAJOR* difference between "gpm" the USE
4 > flag, and sys-libs/gpm the mouse server. I'm one of those weird guys
5 > who starts USE with "-*".
6
7 <aol>Me too.</aol>
8
9 > And I do not have "gpm" the USE flag enabled.
10
11 It's enabled here.
12
13 > I do, however, have sys-libs/gpm running just fine, thank you, minus the
14 > "gpm" flag.
15
16 Good point.
17
18 > If there was a move afoot to remove sys-libs/gpm from the install ISO,
19 > I would be part of the crowd up in arms about this. But that's totally
20 > a separate item from the USE flag.
21
22 +=
23
24 > Since I've never used the gpm USE flag, I have to ask... what
25 > additional goodies does USE="gpm" bring to the table? How exactly,
26 > does it improve things beyond the basic sys-libs/gpm?
27
28 equery hasuse gpm
29
30 ... will tell you what packages on your system have the gpm USE flag.
31
32 For me:
33
34 [IP-] [ ] app-misc/mc-4.8.9:0
35 [IP-] [ ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r2:5
36 [IP-] [ ] www-client/links-2.7:2
37
38 It's certainly useful in mc, the reason I keep it on. In links it's nice
39 but I'm used to keyboard navigation, so it's no big deal. I don't know
40 what ncurses-based apps (other than links and mc) use it, but it has
41 never caused me a problem, so...
42
43 So viewed from here, heavy mc users probably want it on, but for most
44 others it's probably meh...
45
46 Which means the base profile USE flag change is arguably worthwhile.
47 Anything that really needs the flag will be (re)installed later anyway,
48 after people setup their own USE flags, and while I don't use the gentoo
49 liveCD enough to have a real valid opinion on it, I doubt there's much
50 either there or in the stage3 that really needs the flag on.
51
52 As you mention, having the actual package on the install medium remains
53 useful, but that's an entirely separate question from what the USE flag
54 default should be.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman