From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2009 Council Elections
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 00:48:05
1 Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o> posted 4A43E30E.4090100@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:50:22 +1200:
3
4 > I realise that ciaranm has had a nasty past. But recently I haven't see
5 > anything. I for one hope that this continues and that other members of
6 > the community take a look at themselves before spouting about the evils
7 > of ciaramn.
8
9 Agreed.
10
11 Still, it did raise my eyebrows to see him mentioned as a proxy. While
12 he has a good point that it doesn't seem to be in the rules, IMO it's
13 simply too divisive at present. Maybe in five years or a decade...
14 now's not the time (again, IMO).
15
16 Similarly:
17
18 >> While the other candidates certainly have great merits, they tend
19 >> to only see one side and concentrate too much on Gentoo alone.
20
21 Being open to cooperation is one thing. But when it makes a difference,
22 Gentoo council members /should/ be primarily concerned with Gentoo. with
23 cooperation with others important, but definitely secondary to the well-
24 being of Gentoo. After all, it's the /Gentoo/ council, not the
25 /community/ council.
26
27 Were I voting (I'm not), I'd vote on what I saw as the merits of
28 individual members in regard to Gentoo, preferably without regard to
29 Exherbo or other community involvement, tho now that it's specifically
30 posted, I'd likely count that as a minor negative for all but one,
31 choosing one where it'd be a minor positive, as I see no problem with
32 having a single person who can present issues for another part of the
33 community, but again, it's not the Exherbo council, it's the Gentoo
34 council, and IMO it should behave as it's labeled. Dual allegiances
35 aren't a big issue in themselves if they're spread out enough, but
36 weighed as heavily toward one external entity as suggested here isn't a
37 good thing at all IMO.
38
39 But if that's what gets voted in, well, I guess the devs have spoken, as
40 I suppose they have if all those candidates now get ranked below
41 reopen_nominations.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman