From: Rob Kaper <rkaper@×××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenSSH 3.4p1 trojan?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 03:45:21
1 Pat, Neil, Gentoo devs, KDE friends:
2
3 From #kde-freebsd:
4
5 <knu> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-3.4p1.tar.gz
6 is trojaned
7 <tap> nothing on google either
8 <knu> steals /etc/passwd to send to a certain IRC network and removes itself
9 <Capzilla> knu : says who
10 <knu> see the code, but never run make
11 <knu> openbsd-compat/{Makefile.in,bf-test.c}
12
13 Looks like some weird stuff is in there indeed.
14
15 md5sum of the binary that appears to be trojaned:
16
17 3ac9bc346d736b4a51d676faa2a08a57 openssh-3.4p1.tar.gz
18
19 As far as I can see, compiled binaries are *not* affected, but you might
20 want to carefully examin this more closely (I'm waiting with upgradepkg en
21 emerge on my systems until there's some more info). We've had a few hoaxes
22 recently, but this looks suspicious. Especially Gentoo might be vulnerable
23 because source compilation of vanilla packages is its very core feature.
24
25 My apologies if this is just a storm in a glass of water.
26
27 Rob