From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:26:05
1 On 28 March 2012 20:46, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
2 > For example, my /usr/portage/ on this system looks like this:
3 >
4 > portage/
5 >        tree/
6 >        profiles/ -> tree/profiles/
7 >        distfiles/
8 >        packages/
9 >        layman/
10 >
11 > it is a big improvement over the current
12 > distfiles-and-packages-mixed-with-tree-while-layman-wanders state :)
13 > --
16 I'd rather the gentoo tree be classed as the same tier as other
17 sources, ie, more like:
18
19 > portage/
20 > profiles/ -> repositories/gentoo/profiles/
21 > distfiles/
22 > packages/
23 > repositories/gentoo/
24 > repositories/sunrise/
25
26 At least that way the notion of overlays is less of a "3rd class
27 citzens, filth, scum" comparison., and ::gentoo being the "master
28 repository" is just a configuration convention, not something that is
29 a fixed design constraint.
30
31 Fwiw, I've also long despised the layout of the distfiles directory
32 being a flat hierarchy, it makes the directory a festering pit of
33 hellspawn over time on any filesystem that doesn't have dirindex. (
34 I've seriously had "ls" take up to a minute to run in that directory,
35 and if I've ever made the mistake of trying to tab compete something
36 in there .... /usr/portage/distfiles/foo<tab> is my normal muscle
37 memory response, and then it sits there doing nothing for a minute and
38 it would have been faster to just finish typing it myself =_= )
39
40 Though I don't have any solution better than a "break it into 26
41 subdirs by first letter" .
45 Kent
46
47 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,