From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES use or misuse?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:49:11
Hi there,

a while ago Thilo Bangert spent quite some time on filing lots of bugs. While
I appreciate such QA efforts I don't agree with those bugs at all.

All of these bugs were for the use of the FEATURES variable in ebuilds, which
is a very convenient thing to work around issues.
For example known failures with FEATURE="distcc" or funky things like test
failures with FEATURES="userpriv" and so on. All other methods of expressing
that are much more verbose and inherently sucky.

One example of such a bug is
for those too lazy to search.

To quote:
"FEATURES is a portage specific package manager configuration variable not
specified in PMS and cannot reliably be used in ebuilds or eclasses."

Well then, I suggest we finally start documenting reality and fix PMS. The use
of the FEATURES variable, while it has been there for ... uhm ... as long as I
can think back, actually :), should not be randomly suppressed.

So ... what's your opinion? Should we do things as they are correct, or as
they are specified in PMS? ( /me points at bash 3.0 )

Take care,